This is kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
What I meant was you are hung up on the fact the word can have multiple definitions.
And yet your definition is the "right" one?

Why?

My last post is clear. In order to be considered part of the 'assembly', it has to be part of the primary function as described...A heat shield attached to the chassis simply does not in this example. /debate
Neither do exhaust hangers (you can "convey" the exhaust without hangers, thus they are not part of the exhaust "system"). Thus, you're now declaring that all stock exhaust hangers are required? That'll come as news to a lot of folk.

I am sure we could all think up other examples where an assembly included non-attached parts...
Then, by your admission, you agree that "attachment" is not required. Then we don't even disagree on anything!

Frankly, my dear, even if you consider The Great Heat Shield Exhaust System Battle to be intorturation, it is far, far, far less intorturation than using screw holes to run vac lines to sensors mounted on the gizzards of an ECU board, in order to get around a very poorly-worded regulation that was originally and obviously intended to stop people from adding engine sensors...seriously, man. - GA