So I agree that this is a cool idea for YOU in YOUR region. However I DO NOT think it is a great idea for the National IT Rule set in the GCR. (I say national as in covering all of SCCA not just your region. I totally understand it is a regional only class.)

The BEST part of scca is that we are a CLUB. Try to be positive rather than negative like others are including myself at times. Talk to the other IT racers you will race with. THEY ARE THE ONES you want to influence NOT the National office (ITAC, CRB, BOD etc). Remember REGIONAL classes can do WHATEVER THEY WANT within their region as long as it is mentioned in the supplimental regulations! It would be VERY easy for you to create a class called ITB2 with what your describing. Your region can adopt this class and then put in the supplimental regulations that ITB2 can run as ITB in that event or "series" if your doing a season long championship.

Here is an example of that exact same philosophy at work here in the NorthEast (which continues to have strong car counts with this out of the box thinking). I encourage EVERYONE to look at this idea especially Mike as this may resolve lots of the issues you have with SCCA and IT in general.

************************************************** *****************************
TreadZone Pro IT Series Rules 4/8/2012
************************************************** *****************************
2. CLASS ELIGIBILITY
Recognized classes - ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, SM

2.1 SCCA Improved Touring (IT) cars - ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, and ITC; cars must conform to the Improved Touring Category Specifications (ITCS).

2.2 Spec Miata (SM) cars must conform to Spec Miata Category specifications (SMCS). The spec tires for SM are the Toyo Proxes RA-1, Toyo R888 and Hoosier SM6, size 205-50 R15, shaved or unshaved; only one brand may be run at an event. The purpose of this rule is permit competitors to run on any one of three different tires (RA-1, R888 or SM6) without allowing switches during the event e.g. qualify on one tire, race on another. Hoosier H2O rain tires are
permitted for wet weather. When conditions warrant any of these four tires may be used as rain tires; rain tires are free from the one brand rule.

2.3 Showroom Spec Miata (SSM) may compete; SSM must conform to the SSM Technical
Specifications on the NESCCA web site (www.NeDIV.com). SSM will be classified as SM.

2.4 Improved Touring 7 (IT7) and Washington DC Region Spec RX-7 (SRX7) may compete. IT7 and SRX7 will be classified as ITA.

2.5 Non-SCCA classes

2.5.1 Cars built to ‘944 Cup Racing Series’ rules (www.44cup.com) may participate. These include 2 classes: ‘Cup’ must conform to the ITS Rules and will compete in ITS and ‘Super Cup’ must conform to the ITR Rules and will be classified as ITR.

2.5.2 Cars built to NASA® SpecE30 class rules rules (www.spece30.com) may participate, must conform to the ITS Rules and will be classified as ITS.
************************************************** *******************************
Remember if the guys you want to run with WANT you to run with them they can make that happen! I will be honest in saying that I wanted to purchase a continental cup car to race in ITR and asked the guys that were running the class if they would be cool with seam welding and cages welded to the pillars. They all said NO. I accepted that and moved on, building our second RX8 know from scratch which will be more money but hey thems the rules and the guys I am racing with want to play by them, has nothing to do with the ITAC, CRB, or BOD...

Good luck and let us know if it works out for you!
Stephen