Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Just to throw in my $0.02 about ABS on track..
My DD is a 2004 Infiniti G35. ABS and VSC (stability/traction control).
I decided just for grins to take it to the track while my STU was was in pieces...
The car has NISMO S-tune springs, shocks, sway bars, and a stoptech brake kit, so it's reasonably well-handling. I stuck some Hawk HT-10 pads on the front with freebie Hoosier take-offs and went to the track.

I short, that system was definitely NOT track worthy, and this is a much more modern ABS system on a "sports car" that should be much more track-worthy than the cars that will be going into IT in the near future..

Unfortunately, many of the new ABS-equipped cars no longer have a true proportioning valve and use the ABS as a crutch to lower the parts count (and eat rear brake pads like my Infiniti). The Mazda RX-8 is like this. You can't pull the fuse to disable the ABS because you will then have no brake bias adjustment either.

This is something the ITAC is going to have to address in the next couple years as these cars come into radar range of IT..
Actually... it's no crutch, the proportioning capabilities of a well-tuned system far exceed the capabilities of one analog pedal and a knob. That is, far and away, the issue I have as a racer against allowing these systems due to the performance benefit.

You didn't experience it, since you have a) a crappy Japanese car tune, and b) major mods from stock anyway... but trust me, as a professional/subject matter expert, I could make that car go deeper and more stable in the corners on a hot street tire than you can with R6 takeoffs and a prop valve.

I'm very familiar with the components in the RX8 and G35, among others...

But I agree with your closing statement, as Stephen said - this technology will continue to come at us, it isn't going away but rather is now required equipment on all street cars - so SCCA will continue to be faced with how to deal with it.

As a driver, and as an engineer - I don't support its use for racing.