Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
The original spec of 110hp was generated when the car was built, and yes, appears all over the place because everyone shares the same source.
Well, it appears in the same source as the same number over time as well. Ignoring "all over the place", because that's not relevant, right?

However, the fact that the ETKA has changed, especially after production has ended, is very interesting to me. These things don't "just change" ... somebody changes them. And believe me, with big companies and big volumes of data, they change with purpose, not accidentally. So in my mind there's something significant about the updated numbers. I suspect that if you buy a KX crate motor now, it has 120hp. What's different, I have no idea. But that the number has changed is a big clue that SOMETHING has changed.
Agreed, something has changed. But, if the ETKA has, as reported, DIFFERENT power numbers but the SAME base number in the SAME revision...doesn't that strike you as an error? And if there's one error, then I think I'd want to KNOW and understand WHY the numbers changed. Again, if it changed because the downpipe changed, then using the higher number is unfair, as precedents and the op manual require the lower number be used.

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
service manuals are printed and issued at the time of initial production.
parts catalogues have to constantly be updated throghout the life of the vehicle and beyond as suppliers change (ie...SM cam specs).

there's really nothing to prove, or disprove any of the numbers. my default approach tends to be risk averse in uncertain situations.

EDIT; believe it or not Josh hadn't posted yet when i started mine. i actually had a longer version of the same thing typed up a week ago or so, but then my internet crashed at home and i never retyped it.
No, I think there IS something to prove...you're accepting one over the other. Why? One is consistent, the other seems to give multiple choices. Which are you choosing and WHY?
Hey, maybe it' is a trigger that results in some more research, and the research shows a different head. Or a throttle body or cam, or who knows what, but BAM, you now have the reason. Great. But without finding WHY the numbers vary, it's basically 'picking" one because you 'feel' a certain way.

And if that's the case, fine, but it needs to be codified so when this situation arises again, the course is clear and cars are classed consistently.