Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
Now are ALL National fields like that? No. Are all Regional fields strong? Of course not. It's a complex matrix of local customs, tracks and classes. Regional racing is strong in the east, but National is stronger in the west, from what I hear.
Not the Pacific coast ... we're too far from the Runoffs to use that as any sort of attraction.

We routinely get 300+ entrants for each Regional weekend. We're lucky to get 150 for our ONLY national weekend ... the region can't pay the bills with National races.

In addition, to zchris who somehow concludes that Nationals races at better tracks ... what? I think in general they use the same tracks, only there are fewer national races. From here in the large San Francisco Bay Area, I can do 15 regional races a year at three very high-quality tracks within 3 hours of home (Laguna Seca, Infineon/Sears Point, and Thunderhill). If I want to race in my division for the Runoffs, I only get to race at one of those three tracks (Thunderhill), and only one weekend. The other tracks in my division are 12 and 15 hours away. It's no wonder that the national program is dead out here.