Thread: Do FIA-homolagated seats expire in the eyes of the SCCA?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do FIA-homolagated seats expire in the eyes of the SCCA?

My seat, a Sparco Circuit with a 2005 date on it, is homologated to FIA 8855-1999. I do not use a seat back brace and I use Sparco side mounts bolted directly to the original chassis seat mounts with the use of an adapter.

I can't find anything in the GCR that says that this seat will ever need to be retired due to age. And it looks from the latest round of seat mounting rule changes proposed in the August Fastrack, the only changes will be that the mounting of my seat has to be done the way the homologation was done, and in most cases, sliders won't be allowed -- i.e., I still won't be forced to add a seat back brace, and my rigidly mounted side mounts will still be fine.

Am I missing something or am I good until the rules change again? There was some scuttlebutt in the paddock at this weekend about how the club was going to crack down on expired seats, but I can't find any rule that indicates that seats ever expire ...

EDIT: FIA 8855-1999 says that "The usable life of an FIA homologated seat will be 5 years from the date of manufacture indicated on the seat label." So did I just answer my own question? My mounting is fine but my seat is now too old to be homologated?
    Last edited by JoshS; 09-27-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe