There’s a need to create a resource to serve as a volunteer recruiting tool as well as provide information that existing volunteers and regions need. A few regions have asked if I would expand my website to include this type of information. I think it’s a fantastic idea but can’t take on this project without your assistance. Many of us here talk about how we are willing to help the club, but either don’t want to do it during a race weekend or commit to something on a regularly scheduled basis. With this project you can take on as much or as little of this as you’d like, it’s totally up to you. I realize that most of us already have an extremely busy lives, and finding any spare time is a struggle. Trust me, I get it. At the same time I think this would be a valuable tool and it’s critical that we attract and retain more volunteers. Hey, do it for yourself knowing what will happen if we don’t get more volunteers.

How will this be put into use and will people actually see it? SCCA continues to be extremely supportive of the GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com resource and the national website has multiple links pointing people to it. Some regions are also directing people to the site and hopefully more will put it to use especially now that it’s all free. People…prospective volunteers…will see this. I currently have a small section about volunteering on the site but it’s far from what it could be. There are a few initial components which I believe would be of value and a place to start without this becoming too overwhelming of a project.

Recruitment Tool - Show what’s in it for them. A big part of this is for people to see how much fun getting involved is and how they can be a part of the action. A behind the scenes look at various positions. Include information about why people who currently volunteer in that role enjoy it. Capture the experience and sell it.

Job descriptions and related information - What are the various ways / positions people can volunteer at the track and off? What does a person in that role do? How much of a time commitment is needed? What volunteer opportunities are there besides on a race weekend (thinking of for racers as well as others)? I’ve spoken with the national office and various regions – we don’t have what I needed in this area.

In what capacities could you help?
Just off the top of my head: Help assemble the information needed for a job description(s). You would choose which and how many of these you’d like to focus on. Writing, editing, taking nice photos, possibly video of people volunteering in the applicable role and/or interview a volunteer, speaking with existing volunteers to gather information, talking to regions about what they could use help with related to this topic, assist in managing this project and collecting the information from people, and I’m sure there are several other opportunities that exist.

What are your thoughts on this? Too big of a project and not worth it? Willing to help out?