Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
Following Andy's unlimited budget thinking.....last years NARRC Offs were a semi rain race. Started wet but I thought it would dry. But, it was COLD..and that happens often when it rains, as it's typical for it to rain in the cooler months.
My tire choices: Dirt Stockers (It was wet enough at the start)
or-- Hoosier R6 slicks.
Or hankooks "A" compound slicks

I chose the Hankooks. It was cold, remember?

For the first few laps, it was hairier than hairy. I went backwards. Around lap 6 or so, it was "equalized. By lap 9 I liked my call. But the dry line was inches wide in places. And if I was off line at the committed 'kinda dry' speed on slicks, it was going to be uuuugly.

At the end, I was way faster than they guy ahead of me, but, he had 30hp on me, so I couldn't pass him on the straights. And I sure couldn't (I tried) pass him off line in the corners, because it was still wet. It was like being on oiled ice. I was stuck behind him. We had some contact even as he'd slip coming out of corners when I had good drive.

So, My "cost no object" quiver would be Hoosier Rs, Hoosier As, but hand cut, and Dirt Stockers. (of course, now that I think of it, hand cutting wouldn't be kosher! Hmmm, maybe the Hoosier wets are as soft a compound? )

Andy and Shane had a hell of a race that day and Andy was on RA1s, IIRC.
Started DAMP and ended up dry. I was on R888's from one of our rental SM's and Shane was on A6's. My plan was to get a lead from pole and try to hold him off. No dice. He was on my bumper from the first turn and beat me in traffic on the last lap. He was faster but I was protecting my spot. He drove a helluva race. We lapped the entire field.