I'm a newcomer to the SCCA and IT (started in 04). I'm opposed to IT going National for this reason:

I can't say I planned on being an IT racer, I kind of fell into it. But in my first year, I unknowningly ran regional weekends and national weekends that had our IT Pro Series "attached" to them.

The regional weekends were far and away the better of the two. Higher car counts, better competition (all around), just more racing. This is all SEDiv, so you understand my geographic perspective.

I'm very happy with IT as it stands now, with informal national championships and hotly contested regional ones. I'm afraid that "going national" would dilute attendance at the regional events, and infuse some of the things we have seen happen to SM when it went national.

I can't for certain say going national wouldn't improve IT. I can say that IT seems healthy, and growing, right now, and I think the risk of going national versus the potential upside (for me, the only upside I see is the ability to go to the Runoffs) is too great.