Stephen,

I don't disagree with you that the Regions need to think long-term, as does the entire Club (how long have we been waiting for that strategic plan?). I just don't think it's strategic when you make changes to something based on the wishes and desires of a group that's not paying for it, at the expense of those that are.

When I first started racing, if you wanted to run for series' points, you had to work a minimum amount of time at some specialty (tech, T&S, flagging, etc.). Personally, I think racers should be required to work the different specialties. They will bring a different perspective to the worker cadre, as many of the workers have never turned a wheel on the track.

I just don't get how people don't understand that it's the racers that are the reason for races, not the workers. Don't have enough workers? The racers will find some. And let's be honest, races are big social events for workers (not that they're not for racers). And I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. I love the social atmosphere at races, and I think the camaraderie is great. But this is starting to sound like someone that gets invited to a party saying they won't come if the host doesn't provide certain things.

And maybe I've just seen too many people over the years that volunteer (not just racing) that do it because they expect something out of it. Do it because you want to do it, and you get your own intrinsic satisfaction out of it. Don't do it and then turn around and say "hey, I'm volunteering". If you have to advertise that you volunteer, you're probably volunteering for the wrong reasons.