I am a current competitor in ITB and I for personal reasons (Cost, Development, consitancy, fitment, ect) as a 10 year member to ITB see no reason to change the rules that have been in place for the entire 10 years I have been competing in the class. The only "Reason or argument" that has been posted in this thread (In my opinion) for 7" wheels would be for cars that come STOCK with 7" rims. I do think that if we are classifying cars that come stock with 7" rims then at that time we need to consider change. If we change the rules it should have nothing to do with availability or cost for the members regardless on how many are affected.

I have copy and pasted Andys questions and given my own answers as I think he asks the important questions that the ITAC should ask if they ever decide or even start to think of making changes to the current rule set. (At this time nothing is posted in Fasttrack or on the SCCA.Com forums seeking feedback)

1. Is the 6" wheel limitation in ITB/ITC pushing current competitors OUT? I think the ONLY way to measure this is based on the # of letters ALREADY sent to the ITAC (but maybe the ITAC can seek feedback from the IT community)

2. Is the 6" wheel limitation in ITB/ITC a barrier to new cas being built? I think the ONLY way to measure this is based on the # of letters ALREADY sent to the ITAC (but maybe the ITAC can seek feedback from the IT community)

3. Would moving to 7" (or totally open for that matter) upset the current membership? YES this would upset me (who is part of the current membership)

4. Would moving to 7" (or totally open for that matter) draw more cars/drivers INTO Improved Touring? Possible due to the fact that this was not addressed for cars being reclassified from ITA to ITB which incurred a cost to current SCCA members that may still be upset and chose to park their car in the garage.

5. Is there REALLY a supply problem currently or just a lack of mid-range choices? Heavy stuff and expensive stuff seem available. Not a valid reason for a Rule Change. I can't change the size of my brakes because the Brake carrier on my caliper is no longer available (Or should I write a letter?)

6. How long do you 'hold' on the rules in the name of stability - at the potential cost of 'futures'? What are the appropriate triggers for a change? (See questions 1-4)Interesting question (best one on this thread ) I would say that IF newer cars being classified come stock with 7" rims Then we need to look at making a change so that the class can continue to grow with newer cars being classified. That would be the turning point for me. I do not think that a large number of current or future members are not joining ITB because of the wheel widht rule. I would argue that the wheel width rule has nothing to do with the growth of the class other than those affected by the re-classification process

7. Do you force change and evolution (like stock class Solo) or do you try and archive and protect every driver and every car?
In my opinion we should only force change and evolution if we start to see a large decline in participation in ITB and a lack of new car builds. This year ITB is as strong in my region as it has been for the last 7 or 8 years and again this year several new cars have been built across the country that I am awaire of. To me the class seems healthy as is.

Sephen

I'll be honest I am not going to write to the ITAC until AFTER they ask for feedback because for some reason they decide they want to change the rules that have been in place for some 25+ years. Until that time how would I know they are even interested in changing the rules and/or expecting a letter?