Quote Originally Posted by rlward View Post
2. I believe when the issue of ITA cars being reclassified came up about 2 years ago, there was mention that there was no competitive advantage of 7" over 6" rims. If that be the case, then to allow 7" in ITB would not affect the status of any other driver/car because it would not put the pressure on to go out and buy another set of whels.

I would suggest a test, using the same tires and same car/driver to verify no advantage is observed. I run SM Hoosiers, they fit both 6" and 7" rims. The Club does tire tests every year I think. We could run this test with both FWD and RWD cars to gain some data and review the results. Of course pressures would have to be adjusted with trial runs to gain the set data for the 2 different sizes.
I would definitely support this... as mentioned, found myself in the same boat - and we too are running the same size tire on 6's as we did on 7's. Don't know if it made the car slower or faster; I got a whole lot faster as a driver in the meantime, with basically no changes to the car, so can't say for myself.

Hmmm... for that matter, we do happen to have 7" rims around probably still too...

Then we'd need someone to either swap rubber back and forth on rims, or get two identical sets of new tires to mount up and compare.

I'd be willing to volunteer my services (car and driver) at a reasonably local track that I know well enough (Waterford would be an EASY way to line this up, cheap, on a practice day - $20 per session!), etc, to pursue this - at least provide the data for a RWD car. But I can't afford to buy two new sets of rubbers - not in my budget, I'm not even really running this year... Mid-O would be my other choice, but it is more expensive to get there and run...

EDIT - added bonus, I DO have a full-blown data system to provide quite accurate detailed results too...