The GCR states 144 sq. inches and no more than 15" per side and can be in multiple planes;

The maximum area of each mounting plate in the American Sedan, Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, and Touring classes shall be 144 square inches. Plates may be on multiple planes but shall not be greater than fifteen inches on any side.
Is this a maximum of 15" as layed out prior to cutting or bending to change planes?

my CRX has two "levels" where the main hoop are typically attached. The most obvious is the "floor" of the primary passenger compartment and the other is the bottom of the "shelf" area of the cargo area immediately behind where the seats mount.

i have seen bars mounted both ways but leg room is better in the style where the main hoop is back on the "shelf" section. however, i do not like the fact that my butt is not "inside" the cage as much on the "shelf" mounted style.

so if the 15" is measured on each plane (after bending the first flat piece), i can run a 3" wide mounting plate to the "floor" of the car and box in that corner and have the bottom rail of the cage from the front A-pillar bar hit that portion of the mounting plate even though it is below the main hoop.

so is this OK?

if this is not making any sense, i'll try to cut some white pieces of cardboard and put in the car and post up a phone pic to better illustrate.

tia, tom