Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post

FWIW... I've never really turned down pressure to the rear drums...Have you? I rode around with a regulayer for years, til I relized ....never really use it. Never had problem locking rear drums....unless combined with sloppy downshift.
Hey David,

Don't worry about the drums. Once the FWD weight situation gets resolved we'll write in for allowances for the drum braked cars in IT because we now see that we're at a disadvantage. Heck, when selecting our cars to race who would have thought that drum brakes would be a disadvantage in IT???

Anyhow, no, I don't turn down the pressure on the rears. I've got a proportioning valve but it stays open all the time. I can lock the rears in some uncommon situations but for the most part a set of shoes lasts indefinitely. I ran the same set all of last year and I don't plan on changing them for this year. I do use Carobotech shoes.

However Parrish goes through rear shoes on his car. Drums turn blue and he's cracked them before. I've never come close to doing that so I must be doing something wrong. I adjust mine so that the drum is hard to get on. They are newish drums and do not have a lot of signs of wear - no "cavity" on the inside where the shoe can't touch the drum. I have new wheel cylinders, new lines back to them, and use the parking brake to adjust the brakes too. But I can't seem to get the braking that Steve gets with his setup.

Any other comments from Z guys on their rear brakes?