Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
My viewpoint is an interpretation of the rules. I don't believe you can remove something that is essentially part of the chassis even if it acts as a 'bracket'.
I hear ya. In regards to the sunroof, and completely separate from the VIN rule "problems", there's two issues here.

One, the "replacement skin" notation I think most of us agree on (Christian's and others' dissent noted): you can replace the entire top "skin" of the roof on a sunroof-equipped car, as long as it's only the sheet metal skin.

Two, the sunroof "components" issue, however, bears more dissent among the group: personally, I've been convinced via this topic that any part on the car that is unique to the sunroof-equipped car - including bracketry, bolted or welded - can be removed under the "components" notation* without resorting to intorturation. That does not, however, give the builder the option of ADDING non-sunroof components to the car and converting it into a true non-sunroof car (unless the non-sunroof car is also listed same-line.)

On the latter point, I hear the dissent, but I suggest it's not only supportable in a protest situation, but also within the spirit of the rules**. Components is components, no matter how they attach. - GA

* The 'components' notation reads "Components (motors, cables, rails) may be removed...". It's clear that the listing of those specific items is an "e.g." or "for example", versus a limitation to just those items. If the intent were to limit it to just those items then there would be no need to write it as it was; they'd have simply written "Motors, cables, rails may be removed...".

**I see the "spirit" of the rules as intending to allow a sunroof-equipped car to be as close to the non-sunroof version as reasonably and economically possible, especially given "back then" there were situations where you could not - or didn't want to - use a non-sunroof chassis for the build, but didn't want the performance disadvantage and needed the additional safety.