Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
Have I missed something? So far I know of one freaking car that is classes in IT that has stock RR shocks.
Give me less drama and give me some evidence that allowing RR shocks will make IT better in some way.
Without that why even bother to consider the change.
As far as RR shocks go, putting on my SCOTUS robes, I see no justifiable reason for the exception/carve-out prohibiting these shocks. Cost might have been justifiable at one time, but I think there's sufficient evidence presented that the prohibition does not control costs in an absolute sense - compliant shocks exceeding the cost of illegal RR's are available.

I don't see the logic behind allowing us to swap shocks, except NOT these kinds, nor do I see the logic behind allowing anyone to upgrade their shocks, except if you have these kinds.

We have one such car now. Given that technology advances and the tendency to add computer-controlled stability increasing devices, we'll start to see those too.

Prod went wrong when it said a 1956 car should be able to compete with a <insert a year 30 or more years later here>. They did it by allowing extra mods for the older car and not allowing mods for the newer cars. The first raised the cost of racing for existing drivers in the old cars and the second discouraged younger drivers/newer cars from even competing.

My gut feeling is that we are on the leading edge of a wave of techno bugaboos -traction control and active suspensions - that will be standard on most/all cars because their cost is dropping and litigation/safety regulations will mandate their installation. We can either embrace that technology with the rules applied equally for all cars (Everyone can swapout their Framinghanger Gear or NO ONE can) or, we run a significant risk of becoming the next production category lamenting how we aren't seeing new blood coming into the category to compete against our 40-year old cars.

That'll mean accepting that older cars will be made obsolete for anything other than vintage racing - as they should be.