It's the end of The straight we are talking about, not just any straight...and it follows a fast kink/turn, which is after another shortish straight.

What Dave is saying is that, the combination of corners (better shot out of the tricky combo leading onto the finish straight resulting in a closing coming into the bridge turn, and a better bridge turn speed) can lead to a overlap on that straight. But, it shuts down early for the chicane. Now, yes, typically, ITB cars shouldn't be passing ITS cars in that situation, but, hey, ITS cars shouldn't be racing with ITB cars AT ALL! So i see Dave's scenario as possible.

I know the exact situation occurred multiple times for me, an IT-7 car trying to get around ITA cars, and i was 1/3 alongside and gaining when the door would get shut. If I had had the extra bit of straight, the pass would have been made.

I think we are there to race, (which means pass) and tricky turn combinations create passing chances if they have appropriate straights following them to consolidate the gains made. And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.