Thread: IT National? Anyone else have this experience at a driver's meeting this year?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    >> Those advocating moving IT to National are asking US to pay the cost for someone else's benefit.

Help me understand what you think those costs are.
    Short-term
    1. Dilution of a strong Regional racing program without any benefit to those paying that cost.
    2. Failure to address the fundamental problems in those categories that have problems with the continued costs associated with nursing a sick category.
    3. Attracting a larger number of chowder heads with a win-at-all-cost mentality who otherwise wouldn't be at the Regional into our race groups and the cost associated with the resulting carnage. AKA Special Me disease.

Longer-term:
    1. Rules creep. Please don't insult me by suggesting that water running down my back is rain. 5-year rule? It's going to be gone. SS will be phased into IT for current model cars and there won't be a damn thing the ITAC will be able to do to stop it. It'll be presented as for the good of the "club." You'll need a mop to clean the drool dropped by Topeka when the manufacturers start waving their official contingency fee bills around. Won't happen? In a pig's eye. I have a strong feeling that this is their plan.
    2. Competition adjustments because god knows Topeka can't tell Mazda or Chevy or BMW "TFB, build a better car." The manufacturers will beatch about their current model being uncompetitive or misclassified and Topeka will fall on their knees to placate them just like Topeka has done whenever this happens. The ITAC will advise against it and it won't matter. Either the CRB or BoD will ignore them or the ITAC will consist of new blood attracted by the lure of the Runoffsvwho actually think this is needed for the good of the club.
    3. Further dilution of a strong Regional racing program without any benefit to those paying that cost.
    4. Attracting a larger number of chowder heads with a win-at-all-cost mentality who otherwise wouldn't be at the Regional into our race groups and the cost associated with the resulting carnage. AKA Special Me disease.

But I don't need to justify why I think we do not need to make a change to IT. The burden of proof is on the Affirmative Side of the debate. Demonstrate that this solves "the problem" (and while the Pro side is doing that, please define the problem because it STILL hasn't been stated by those in favor of this move.) without creating additional problems and that this is better than a 100% top to bottom reworking of the Prod/GT/SS/T rules.

You wanna pull prod's fat from the fat? Why not change their rules and allow me to run my 100% legal IT car in Production AS IT CURRENTLY SITS? The 2 greatest roadblock to having IT cars run nationals is a fire system and a fuel cell. I can count off 1 national I would enter for certain and 2 others I probably would tow to if my car, as it currently sits, was allowed to play. Shoot, one more National and I could qualify for the Runoffs and just might go to be able to say I made the show. Too bad, gotta sink money equal to 10 race weekends into the car before I do that. Not gonna happen.

How about making incremental changes before we drill the foundations for the TNT?

Let's say I come up with a sponsorship pool of loot, prizes, and pro-ride incentives from 10 manufacturers, and make IT a contingency heaven on earth - $1000 for each Regional win. One race WC Touring seat for a regional championship. A full season drive in Koni Challenge to the triple crown winner and runner-up. A GA Porsche team, fully funded at next year's Rolex 24, for the IT class winners at the Longest Day 24 hours...

This package has the potential to make the category insanely attractive. It will dramatically increase ante for those running up front. It's certainly going to inflate competitive pressures. Spending will increase accordingly.

Who here thinks my plan is good for IT? Who does not?

K
    I think your plan is unworkable because manufacturers won't be involved unless it is current model cars racing and we don't have that in IT and never should.

Don't you get it? It's the manufacturer money that created the world of shit that is Prod/GT/SS/Touring rules? They won't throw their money into it unless they think they can win and they will lobby until the rules are changed so they can win.
    Last edited by jjjanos; 05-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.