Thread: Need help! can't get lock cylinder out to remove steering lock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    Don't remove, just add to. I had a problem that if I stalled the car I could not reach the key to restart. Just turn the key to the on position, leave it there and then add a start button. That and I don't think you can "remove" the switch. :cool:

I don't remember the specifics to removing the lock itself, but there is a button looking screw that hold the lock to the column. We took a wiz wheel to it and put a groove in it. The groove then held a flat head screw driver very nicely. We then removed the screw, disabled the lock, and screwed it back in place.

HTH. It's been 6 years since I've done it and the new car got the old column that I already had set up.
    You don't remember cause I did it for you

I wish I could see the lock.. I would remember how to do it if I had the lock in my hands, but it's hard to describe as spnkzss was the last one I did that to..

If memory serves, the lock pin is pushed up by the spring that you appear to have already removed. The "button" people spoke of was what held the spring and the pin captive. From the gray edges of my memory, you can just pop the entire button off and the spring and pin will fall out. It serves no other purpose if I remember correctly.

I did spnkzss differently. I took the cylinder assy off and removed the internal parts of the lock, then reinstalled the assy using standard bolts. After that, I discovered the "remove the plug (button)" method would accomplish the same thing.

On edit: If you insert the ign key into the lock and turn it one click, there is pin that is located near the base of the silver cover that can be depressed to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. (it's coming back). If you like, you can remove the enter ign lock assy quite easily. There are 2 screws that hold the lock onto the column. They have sheer bolts which means they don't look like bolts right now.

Look for 2 domes about 10mm round with a rough portion in the middle that makes it look kind of like a bullseye. They are accessible from the underside of the steering column. Once located, you need to either cut a groove in them so you can remove them with a screw driver, or you can use a sharp punch and hammer to peen them on the edge. Just a few taps at a slight angle will usually loosen them, they aren't very tight.

I hope I am making sense.
    Last edited by EV; 04-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Enjoy,
    Bill