I have seen so many comments for years about how Stewards need to do more to prevent contact and/or drivers need to do more to self-police drivers... so lets discuss different ideas to make racing more enjoyable for all...

First you need to know that Stewards come from all areas, some have never raced, some raced, some still race, some flaged, some still flagged, some political and some I just have no idea where they came from or what planet they are on. But I have to admit they are all good people willing to voluneer their time to do the best they can to run a fun event for the region and all the participents. They will not please everyone because we (including them) all have different experiences and knowledge that gives us different opinions, views, requests, etc.

Here is one thing that I do to try and do my best... I was at a smaller race in Ohio a few years ago (not the IT Fest or the Runoffs) and I noticed that every driver that was witnessed having an on-track incident (both sides) was called into pit lane after the race and spoken to by the Black flag Steward. The reactions and information gathered from the quick interview were relayed to the tower where the Operating Stewards were. They then made a decision to file a RFA or not.

I very much liked this process and have since adopted it here in the Northeast for EVERY class/group that I am the Operating Steward for. Sometimes I even went and personally spoke to drivers I wanted more info from. Generally those drivers gave little or no respect no matter what side they were on (recieving or offending).

When I was in Ohio I thought this process worked to at least intimidate contact, Has anyone experience this... did it help? Do you think it would help if you never experienced it?

Problems that stewards have... All the officials and flaggers would love to see everything but we don't and not all contact is called in. When it is not called in their is nothing that any of us can do.

As a driver, I have always tried to have video as a witness, and a Steward I can't thank drivers with video enough for having it. I noticed in the latest sportcar that the Speed series now requires it in the rules... Interesting...

I had a problem with the process and the politics while racing down south and decided to become a Steward to understand the "other side" better. Why are you not a Steward?

If you were a Steward, how would you address this popular issue?

If you are are a Driver and you were "wronged" why didn't you protest?

If you are a driver and witnessed someone "wronged" why didn't you protest?

Thanks to all those that give input... we have a Stewards training class in a few weeks and any ideas generated I will bring to the meeting to share with other Stewards that might not view this website.

Raymond "see you at the track soon!!!" Blethen