Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
...noting that, "...Documentation of the superseding parts or assemblies must be supplied to the Club Racing Department and the appropriate part numbers listed on that particular model’s specification line."

Both in same paragraph, ITCS 9.1.3.C.
That's what the rule says, but does anyone else think it's silly?

Let's see -- my car's motor mount is dead. I go to the dealer parts counter and I say, "I need a replacement motor mount for my 1999 BMW Z3". He gives me one which has a newer part number than the dead one (which was original).

Now, I go racing and someone hears that I just replaced my motor mounts and went 2 seconds faster, so I get protested for illegal motor mounts. They pull my motor mounts out of the car and read the part number off the side. They call the local BMW dealer and ask for the part number for a Z3 motor mount, and they get the same number. Pretty sure they are going to rule it legal.

Now, let's go the other way. My competitors misheard me in the paddock. What I really said was, "I'll bet if I replace these old crappy motor mounts with the new ones I just bought, I'll go 2 seconds faster!" So I get protested. They pull out my old, crappy, original motor mounts, and read off the part number. They call the local BMW dealer and ask for the part number for a motor mount. The parts guy reads off the new part number. No match. So the tech guy says, "Okay, then what's a 123456789?" Oh, that's the ORIGINAL part number. It's been superceded." Still legal.

Why do we need line item exceptions? There have been so many superceded parts on all the IT cars that the ITCS would quadruple in size. Not to mention that now, as James pointed out, we can use "stock-equivalent" parts that won't even have BMW part numbers on them.

Does anyone else agree that we should strike the rule Greg quoted?