I am wanting to make a intake plenum for my 260Z. What I wish to do is make a "log" style plenum that will tie both carbs together. I can then take that log and connect it to a cone style filter out at the front of the engine bay to maybe help pull a bit of cool air in the engine.

Maybe the attached picture will help a bit with what I wish to do.

The space is tight in the engine compartment. I think it is even tighter than a 240Z on the intake side as the carbs seem to be a bit wider than what is on 240Zs.

Anyhow, I can envision a round tube that has two flat areas on it to mount to the carbs. I could drill holes through the tube to mount the bolts into the carbs and the outside holes can be patched with duct tape or whatever. The end of the tube near the firewall will be sealed. The end pointing toward the front of the car will be connected to a cone filter.

My problem is what to make it out of. I don't want to use muffler pipe as it is too heavy. PVC pipe won't bend or crush and is also heavy. Ideally I could see some thin walled aluminum tube, maybe 0.040", 0.060", or something in that range that I could manipulate with common hand tools.

Any ideas or suggestions?