...need to create a new culture - how do we do it? The culture needs to get to the point where people actually THINK about [creative/tortured interpretations] BEFORE someone says something.[/b]
First, as the instigator for this (kinda unintentional) sheistfest, let me make it explicitly clear: Andy's ECU mods are "legal" to the current environment of IT rules interpretations. In point of fact, it is this EXACT solution that I was prepared to pursue with The Aborted MR-2 Project. "Right" to the spirit? Not. Legal to the words? Absolutely.

I brought this up *not* to target Andy specifically, but to shine the light on the fact that we as a group have really led ourselves "into the darkness" (what was it that Pogo said? "I have seen the enemy, and he is us..."?) This isn't specifically about the old ECU rule nor is it about any one particular person; it's about "us".

Andy's point above is very important. And it should be rhetorically considered by every person reading this board, and passed along to those that don't. How many times have you read a rule, looked at its real-world application and said to yourself, "Wow, that's not what I had in mind, but it sure seems clever/reasonable/interpretative/whatever?" Each time you do that (e.g., Motec, sphericals, splitters, MAPs in ECUs, whatever) that should be a clear sign that somethin' just ain't right. But yet, we as a group accept and tolerate it! There is where the change needs to be made: not in the words, but in our attitudes.

Andy, you asked how to change the culture. Culture change for *any* environment comes from the top, from the leadership. That&#39;s you, that&#39;s me, that&#39;s Jake, that&#39;s George (assuming he&#39;s still alive ! <wink>), that&#39;s everyone who is either a formal or a figurative leader, elected, chosen, or whatever. It comes from you and me saying, publicly, privately, and in words and deed, "this is not right, and this is not acceptable". It means forgoing competitive advantage in the pursuit of excellence; it means using the "correct" ECU in lieu of the optimal, and it means foregoing the weight balance advantage of a bridge superstructure masquerading as a rear swaybar. EVERYONE is guilty of this, not just one person; and once we agree collectively to follow the "spirit and intent" of the rules then everyone will follow.

For therein lies the dirty laundry we all tend to overlook: while proclaiming we want to clean up the wash we find ourselves as individuals looking the other way for our own. That, in a nutshell, is blatant hypocrisy; it is and obvious to everyone around us, and they follow suit.

So, time to look within: what are we going to do about it? THAT is what we have to decide.

GA