...How do we let all classes compete for a spot at the Runoffs without letting them all run Nationals? [/b]
This presumes that the National/Regional distinction continues, which is a sacred cow to a lot of folks but setting that first principle free REALLY deserves some serious consideration.

If I were king, I'd actually KEEP the terms but make a National a "coefficient 5" event, and a Regional a "coefficient 3" event (or whatever combination) - creating points multipliers weighted toward the a few higher profile events in each division, with longer race formats. Make all races count for national championship points, have classes qualify for the RubOffs based on participation, and drivers within those classes by total points.

The same points would count for regional and divisional championships, with events eligible only within the geographic locale of the championship. If this looks a little like rallying did 20 years ago, it's not a coincidence.

The real kicker for me would be that the National Championship event wouldn't be the ONLY factor. It would be a super points race (say a coefficient 20) but would add to the year-end points total, which would define the Winner. It would be necessary to both do well at the finale AND have a competitive season, if one wanted to win a title. You couldn't back-door into the big show, then put your whole budget into that one race for the medal...

K