And is rev limit also a consideration??

I understand that the RX7 in general is low on torque. However, it can run up to some ungodly rev limit.

So instead of making torque, you put a really crazy diff in it (something like a 5.1 for the 2nd gens) and get awful close to the torque being put out at the wheels with a car that can only push a 7000 RPM redline and therefore only a 4.3 or so gearset, but has torque.

Just asking...

Joe Mac [/b]
Torque, is, essentially, tq.

The tq I mentioned, (101 -105) was measured after the diff... Yes, the engine can rev to about 8K, but peak hp occurs earlier. Your car is known to be a strong tq AND hp engine. IIRC, you car can put over 150 HP down and tq is very close, but you don't rev as high.

Net net is I need to maintain a minimum of 4500 rpm and shift between 7 and 8K, while you can run a lower rev range. But, grunt and pull are much greater for you, at nearly any part of the curves.

And while gear multiplication helps acceleration, when taken to extremes, top speed could become very limited if the gearing gets too high in an attempt to keep up with the "Jones" acceleration.....sure, it might match you to 40 MPH, but then it might run out of revs in 5th at 80mph.