ok... I am trying to decide what to do. I toasted the motor at Mid Ohio and I have to decide to put in another junker (without cleaning it up with new rings or anything) and run another race or just throw in the towel this year and just build a real motor for next season. Time is my main issue this fall as I will be starting a new job in about 2 weeks and need to put 100% dedication into that rather than racing. One positive is that even if I throw in the towel, I will still be doing another race, the Last Chance Enduro in my brothers car, so I will get my fix, I think.

If I decide to build a motor, how does one go about doing it???

We have the restriction in the GCR that says we can not increase compression by more than .5. My understanding is that you can easily do this just by plaining the head?

What about .040 over pistons? If I have some made (they don't exist for our cars) will that effect CR? If so how does it effect it? Also how will the .040 pistons effect performance vs .020 or stock sized pistons.

When determining the allowance to not increase CR by more than .5 is that based on your modifications from the engines min specs or is that based on the manufacturers spec (as noted in the GCR where your vehicles classification is). How would I determine what my CR is before and after making any mods (during the planning stages with a pile of parts)? Is a stock motors CR generally less than the manufacturers # or is it possibly higher?

Besides planning the head, and putting in larger .040 pistons (obviosly new rings go with that), and reseating the valves for a tight fit, what else would you recomend to do for a "80%" build? What about a"90%" build or a 100% build?

Thanks for the input;

Raymond "Personaly I can't believe huge gains can be made legaly, and I want to put it to the test" Blethen