Effective 1/1/08: Change section 9.1.3.D.1.a.6 and add a new section 7 as follows:

6.<strike> Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing. Only the stock (unmodified) OEM ECU connection to the wiring harness may be used. The allowance to modify the ECU in no way permits the addition of wiring, sensors, or piggybacked computers outside of the OEM ECU housing. The stock (unmodified) wiring harness must be used. The installation of a resistor is allowed between the sensor and the OEM wiring harness. Adjustable fuel pressure regulators are permitted.</strike>

6. The engine management computer may be altered or replaced. A throttle position sensor and its wiring may be added or replaced. A MAP sensor and its wiring may be added. Other existing sensors, excluding the stock air metering device, may be substituted for equivalent units.

7. Wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness may be modified or replaced.

In other posts, I get a confusing mesage upon what this rule means. So that I can better understand, I have some examples that I would like a reply if they are acceptable under the proposed language. In your reply, please explain what rules language the reply was based upon.

1) Can someone add an Engine Management Computer to a fuel injected car (example &#39;76 alfa) that didn&#39;t have a computer? &#39;76 Alfa&#39;s have Mechanical fuel injection

2) In reconfiguring an engine management computor, is it acceptable to re-engineer one type of fuel injection (say L jetronic) to a different type modern sequential digital if that upgrade requires installing different type injectors, higher flow injectors, or higher flow or pressure fuel pumps etc?

3) A carburator and a mechanical injection pump computes fuel mixture upon mechanical means. Some fuel injection systems use a combination of mechanical and analog electronic means to compute fuel mixture. Distributors computes spark timing based upon mechanical means. Are any of these non digital devices considered "Engine Management Computers" under the proposed rules?

4) Under the wording of the rule, can I modify the engine head, intake manifold or other supporting hardware in order to create an engine management system different than the original? For example, if I have a single point injector in my 1991 ITB DX honda CRX, is it acceptble to modify the intake manifold and install 4 multipoint fuel injectors with my new computer?

5) If I have an air metering device (example Porsche 944 air box or a Rabbit CIS box), under this rule, can I upon adding an engine managment computer with means to control mixture leave these devices in place but disable them in a way that substantially reduces their induction pressure drop?

In reading the rule, I would think "No" for all questions. What does the committee say? If the committee cannot answer these questions in a clear and unamiguous way, this rule should not be approved.