Hi guys, we had a sort of a strange brake failure this weekend at Kershaw, and I thought I'd see what you folks thought about it.

For background, I replaced the pads on all four corners, and the bearings and rotors on the front at the beginning of this season. At the end of March, we ran two 14-lap (30 minute) SARRC races at Kershaw. Still plenty of meat on the pads, rotors look good, no issues with the feel.

This weekend, the brakes are fine during practice. A couple of hours later, they're fine at the beginning of qualifying. Have to drive off track to avoid a spin, which tears the brake duct on the RF severely. A few laps later the marshals meatball us for dragging (the brake duct) and we examine the RF corner.

It's boiling the grease, so we let it cool, replace the brake duct, and repack the bearings. In the process we forget to torque the lug nuts. So, about fifteen minutes into the forty-five minute race, the RF gets a bad vibration. Bring the car in, fix the lug nuts, go back out, no problems. Finish the race, everything is good. Sit through impound, then back to the paddock, all still good.

An hour later, go to put the car on the trailer, brakes are soft and pedal just keeps going. Load up. Stop on the way home and notice that there's a puddle of brake fluid around the RF tire. I guess the seals are gone. Overnight about halfway home, and almost all of the brake fluid has leaked out overnight. Finish the trip home, notice that now there's a puddle of brake fluid around the LF tire, too.

This seems strange to us. It's easy to understand the RF failing, after the extra heat it endured while the brake duct was damaged. Though it is a little perplexing that it survived the race, the loose lug nuts, and everything else, and only went bad sitting in the paddock waiting to be trailered.

It's really confusing that the LF went, too, though. Especially that it didn't show any evidence of having blown until so long after being loaded and so long after the RF showed (really) obvious evidence of being blown.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to replace the calipers, then rebuild the take offs to keep as spares. I'm wondering if I need to be looking at other stuff, too.