Chassis tuning has been a weak spot of my racing program and is something I would like to begin learning more about. Thus far, I have found the process to be very confusing and intimidating. Depending upon whom I speak with, I receive varying advice. What makes this especially confusing are the sources that provide conflicting information are all credible sources. (Thus my previous pyrometers vs. other tuning methods thread.) In the past I got the tire pressures and alignment in the general ballpark, but that’s about it. When I built my first car, I decided to go with a non-adjustable strut/shock package for multiple reasons. This was an excellent decision for me. I am now in the process of building a new ITB Prelude and just recently decided to upgrade my suspension, which will include having adjustable struts/shocks. I continue to struggle with how I can learn to properly tune my car.

I’ve spoken with some people about this learning process and they often either take for granted all of the information that goes along with this or do not recognize that some people will pick-up this type of material faster than others. During the past year I went out and purchased some books on how to tune a racecar, but a much of the content was way over my head. Once I get the new car together I have decided to hire someone with the knowledge to first properly corner weight / align the car then attend a test & tune day at Lime Rock (insert Kessler Engineering plug here). I plan to be involved with this and absorb as much as I can. Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay someone to go to every track I race at and also realize that tuning a racecar is an ongoing process. My goal right now is to begin understanding the basics of tuning. I do not have the desire to constantly be changing spring rates (it’s a major PITA on my car). I also can’t afford – time and money - to be attending numerous test and tune sessions. But I do have a tire pyrometer in this Spring’s budget. J

What other ways can you suggest that I can learn tuning basics? Are there any “tuning for dummies” books out there that a non-engineering type of person can easily comprehend? (I’ve have Going Faster, Tune to Win, and a few others.) I’m looking for information such as how to properly use the information a pyrometer provides, using tire pressures to tune, adjusting shock/strut settings, and etcetera. I’d also love to hear your suggestions on the basics techniques to tune a racecar, and if you have any special tips you can provide when tuning for a new track.

My other question is how I can better gauge what the car is doing? There are many of us who can drive the cars pretty quick but when it comes time to tell the tuner (even if it’s yourself) what the car is doing, we are not able to provide enough feedback. I’d like to be able to further develop this skill too. I know, lots of questions!