IT seems to have a stable set of rules at this point. One thing to consider is what would going national do to this stability?
Andy, how many rules "massages" have been made since National first adopted the SM rules nationally? It seems quite a few.
There seems to be a great many little things that start changing the class when it moves from regional to national. Some of them may be positive.... others not so much.
Peter's suggestion of renting a national ride sort of says a lot. If the RUNOFFS is your be all end all race there are 24+ classes to run in to get there. Some folks after being there may decide that it wasn't worth the time, $$, and other stuff that goes with it.
It is sort of funny that tnord and myself see IT as just fine like it is. We both are not in areas that have many DBL REG. weekends. We have shorter races then national classes and we have less practice time. Those being negatives I still see IT as it is as being the right niche for a big group of budget racers. You guys in the SE & NE and Left Coast have it double good as there are many DBL REG weekends to enjoy in those areas. (Heck if I lived in one of those areas I would really be against IT going National! As it is if most folks want it I could grin and bear it.)

This thread is pretty good as it shows lots of differnt views and opinions. I'm already looking at it from a different take.

Mac