Since Travis mentioned MAM (MidAmerica Motorplex) - I thought I'd provide the facts for entry fees at that venue. I've been the Chief Registrar since August 2004. I don't have the details on the track rental costs.

Aug 2004 - Fun In the Sun Regional/National
Regional (Sat) - $195
IT Restricted Regl (Sun) - $195
National (Sun) - $230
Reg/Natl - $270
Regl/IT RR - $260
CoDriver - $60 (same car, same class - two drivers - one Sat/one Sun)

Total Entries - 69 R/N, 37 R/IT, 6 Regl Only, 21 Natl Only, 4 CoDrivers = 137

Oct 2004 - Octoberfest III Drivers School/Regional & Whoomah!! ™ Enduro
Drivers School - $185
Regional - $185
Enduro - $185
DS/Regl - $250
Regl/End - $250
CoDriver - $60
Enduro CoDriver - $45

Total Entries - 29 DS, 73 Regl, 22 Enduro = 124

Apr/Aug 2005
Regional (Sat) - $210
IT Restricted Regl (Sun) - $210
National (Sun) - $245
Reg/Natl - $280
Regl/IT RR - $275

April-
Total Entries - 7 Regl Only, 57 R/N, 30 Natl Only, 31 R/IT, 5 CoDrivers = 135

Aug -
Total Entries - 12 Regl Only, 53 R/N, 24 Natl Only, 32 R/IT, 7 CoDrivers = 128

Oct 2005 - Octoberfest IV Drivers School/Regional & Whoomah!! ™ Enduro
Drivers School - $200
Regional - $200
Enduro - $200
DS/Regl - $265
Regl/End - $265
DS/Regl/End - $330
CoDriver - $60
Enduro CoDriver - $45

Total Entries - 19 DS, 72 Regl, 36 Enduro = 127

Apr/Jul 2006
Regional (Sat) - $220
IT Restricted Regl (Sun) - $220
National (Sun) - $260
Reg/Natl - $300
Regl/IT RR - $285

April-
Total Entries - 10 Regl Only, 82 R/N, 28 Natl Only, 24 R/IT, 8 CoDrivers = 162
(Largest event held at MidAmerica Motorplex)

July -
Total Entries - 13 Regl Only, 75 R/N, 47 Natl Only, 11 R/IT, 4 CoDrivers = 151

Sept 2006 - Wild & Wacky Drivers School/Regional & Whoomah!! ™ Enduro
Drivers School - $210
Regional - $210
Enduro - $210
DS/Regl - $275
Regl/End - $275
DS/Regl/End - $340
CoDriver - $65

Total Entries - 22 DS, 65 Regl, 22 Enduro = 109

Keep in mind as you review these figures and get upset because the fees have risen - keep in mind that most regions try to operate on a break-even basis. Not only have sanction and insurance costs risen, the variety of costs needed for a weekend have risen as well - postage, printing, trophies, driver/worker goodies, Saturday night party fees, etc. The list is long. While race chairs do the best they can to control costs, certain expenses have just risen.

The Enduro was added to the Drivers School/Regional weekend to help that event not lose money. That goal was achieved in the years when the Spec Miatas weren't yet a national class. We were hampered in 2006 because we had to move out of October (end of season) into September (prior to RunOffs). Many of our enduro drivers went to the RunOffs. (MidAmerica is only about 180 miles from Heartland Park.)

The MVRG board has agreed to allow me to have on-line registration this year. Unfortunately for the drivers, that may mean the cost will go up. Sorry guys - but many drivers wanted the option to pay by credit card, and this is the way you'll get it!

Now - to deviate just slightly "off-topic" - As a worker with over 30 years experience in a variety of specialties (I currently hold three licenses), it is expensive for me to volunteer my time at an event. Our budget doesn't allow any race car in our present, although my husband would dearly love one. We do what we can to help with the race organization. In that fashion, we are at least able to be involved in this fabulous sport.

I'm sorry that some folks feel they're not getting any "value" from having trained, licensed, experienced volunteers who staff the events. I know that I have made several wonderful friends in the driver ranks. Part of what we do, we do to help our friends enjoy their passion more safely.

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"Worker Bee"
National F&C/National Registration
Sr Timing & Scoring