So it was two years ago this upcoming March that I finished my final driving school. Not just the last driving school, but the driving school that had me at pole position for the mock race, and the driving school that had me placed first in my class. Yeah that was two years ago - already! How time flies.

This is significant in the amount of sillyness I've experienced this particular off-season. Since my off-season really started almost two years ago. Throw in 2 children, ages 2.5 and 5 months, daycare costs, off-season car maintenence, ITA weight changes, and all of a sudden two years.

It was yesterday that my daughter Amelia and I were building a miniature snow man, about 6" high, not 6' high (Spinal Tap), and it was yesterday that I started the CRX for the first time in about 6 weeks. As per usual after a long spell of not being started, the CRX wanted to start first twist of the key, but just didn't quite make it. Sure enough after a short blip of the key it fired right up. Finally, the electrical gremlins and starter issues are solved... suppose I shouldn't have type that. Out of the garage it sat, at idle. The white smoke cleared to non-existant, and those old feelings welled up inside, and the joy and love of motorsport was rekindled.

As the car sat idling, Amelia and I threw snowballs, well actually more like snowpebbles onto the sidewalk, watching them disintigrate into even smaller beeds. Amelia threw underhanded, and I resisted my need to show her how to throw like a guy... afterall she's only 2.5. I rested comfortably in my decision to watch her throw a few times and joyfully absorbed the image of a small jump/throw to see the palm sized wad of snow fall to the ground 6 inches in front of her.

After about 20 minutes, it started getting dark. Dinner-time approached and the car needed to be put away. I knew that pealing my daugher away from this winter fun would be a chore, so I appealed to her intrinsic driving interest with an invite to ride in "daddy's racecar". No luck. I examined the possibility of backing the car 30+ feet into the garage, but with the seat on the floor, literally, and with my short-statured daugher, bent down and unpredictable, this option didn't feel right. So by force and with a bit of kicking and whining, my daugher finally succumbed to the passenger seat of an ITA CRX, the yellow one. She likes yellow.

We backed in, and she wanted to go forward. So we went forward to the end of the driveway, about 60 yards or so. We sat, and she expressed an interest in making a right out of the driveway for a little ride. As much as I would have loved to do this, even with her securely strapped in, this wasn't an option. So back to the garage, and off I turned the key.

Amelia reached for the shifter, I encouraged, but said, "only when mommy or daddy is in the car, OK?"
She had a hard time reaching so she climbed into my lap.

"Daddy, turn it."
"Turn the key?" I responded as I pointed to the ignition.
"Yeah Daddy, turn it."
On the car went again, up and back again, finally to come to rest.

"Want to drive?"
"No daddy, your steerin' wheel"
"OK"

Needless to say, like just about any activity, it's hard to pull away. It was dinner-time and the car was finally parked, and will most likely stay that way for at least another month. Hopefully to be driven onto the trailer for a much grander g-force experience. However, even only traveling less then a mile up and back in the driveway, I wouldn't trade my silly season duration for the world.

I have two beautiful children and eventually, I'll be back.

It wasn't too long ago, that I raced at VIR, the grande course. 4.1 miles, and 33 (or so) turns. The first race on my novice permit I have on tape. I finished next to a competitor across the finish line. It was exilarating.
An even shorter time ago, I just about had the CRX sold. I was going to sell the whole lot, take a loss, financially and purchase a 540 BMW for track-day duty and family hauling. Finally, my wife whom I love offered her opinion after months of hearing my "brainstorming". "David, do you really want my opinion?" Bracing for the worst I said of course. "I think you should keep the race car".

I get chills when I think of how good I have it.

It's silly.