Maybe this is a different thread, but if we're all here to promote scca then...

Each one of us should be working to get people to the track. Seeing a race live gets people excited about it. If they get excited about it, they’ll do something. Tell you relatives, friends, friends of friends, etc. Tell them to bring their kids. For each race that I run I try to get someone that hasn’t been there before to show up. Tell them they can act like crew and get one of the kids to put on some gloves, show them how to set a torque wrench, and have them do the lug nuts (check them afterwards of course). Little things like that mean a lot to someone and make it memorable, like they took part in the race.

I take my in car footage of the last race, press to DVD and give it to anyone that will listen. I write my regions URL on the DVD so they can see when the next race is and put my email address on it as well. I put them on the crew list, send them directions to the track, have the cell phone on all day to get them through registration, etc. Before my last race I gave a guy a copy of the in car video. He liked it so much that he said he wanted to come out and watch. He drove two hours, showed up with his wife, 7-year-old son, and 4-year-old daughter. Thanks to my big mouth, what I’ve found is that people often ask when the next race is, where is it, and can they get in.

After a race, for those that didn’t show, I send a text message along the lines of “17 cars in field, I got 5th”. 50% of those I text message give me a call on the way home from the track with congrats, the rest call me over the next few days. Easy to do, they get informed, and it makes the long drive home easier when you’re talking on the phone (please note that I am not advocating using a cell phone while driving).

Has any of this worked? No! No one that I’ve gotten to the track is out there competing. But that isn’t the best gauge. 7 of them have become SCCA members so they can get in the pits with me. 1 of the kids has talked his father into buying him a junior midget sprint car and started taking the classes needed to get into the local junior midget sprint car races. Another guy wants to do the graphics for my car. Biggest thing that happens is they realize that it doesn’t take a lot of money to get there.

I haven’t been racing for a full year yet, but this shameless self-promotion has had an impact on the SCCA, even if it is a small impact.