Good morning all,
I know that this car is not listed in the GCR, but I'm hoping some of the older cars have the same front strut mount design...
I have a 2001 Jetta street car that I've had some problems with the front upper strut mounts on. There is about a 3/4" gap above the upper mount bracket. This causes a "klunking" sound when going over bumps during the rebound of the spring and strut. There was nothing there when I bought the car, and I couldn't find a VW part that is supposed to be there. Is this how it was designed??? I put some old rubber exhaust hanger donuts from an RX7 in there and it seemed to help a little(see pic). I didn't notice it when I bought the car(car had about 130k mi on it and the struts were bad) I put new Bilstien's on all 4 corners and started hearing it then. Since, I have put new A-arm bushings, new ball joints, new upper strut mount bushings(which are only under the cars metal mount point)
The only mounting point it has is one nut that tightens the cup-shaped aluminum piece down.
Do any of your cars have this same mounting design? If so, how do I make it better?
Thanks,
Mike