Last year I sent in my membership and license renewal for a regional competition license and later decided that it might be nice to offer assistance instructing at the two competition racing schools being held in my area. I was surprised to learn that in order to be an instructor at these events, it is necessary to have a national competiton license regardless of a person’s experience or instructing abilities. I just don’t get this.

I understand having a requirement to have a competition license and then requiring approval from the chief instructor (or whomever involved in running the school) before someone is allowed to instruct. If the instructor candidate does not have enough experience or for whatever reason would not be a good fit in that role, do not have them instruct at the event.

The easy answer some will give is “just go get a national competition license, blah, blah, blah.” We’ve often discussed that just because someone races in a national class, doesn’t mean they are a better racer. Shouldn’t the same theory apply even more for someone who just so happens to check-off the national license box instead of regional?

Just out of curiosity, do regions ever have a difficult time getting enough instructors? Or is there a large supply and that’s never a concern? As with last year, I’ll be spending a couple days instructing at HPDEs vs. the competition schools. This year it is partially because I didn’t compete enough SCCA races to qualify for a national license before totaling my car, although I did two NASA races. This requirement just doesn’t make sense to me.