You are going to have a QUALIFYING race and then an actual RACE. You set the grid by season-to date points, random draw - whatever. Then you 'race'. Finishing positions determine the grid for the RACE. This is only ONE RACE in the eyes of the SCCA. You have to have one qualifier tied to each race - PER SANCTION NUMBER.[/b]
For purposes of this event, I disagree.

The SCCA rules for determining qualifying positions at a National race are pretty well cast in stone and at a Double National, there must be separate qualifying sessions for each race (GCR 3.1.2.A.). But those rules don't apply to Regional racing. Also, since this event will not be part of the Great Lakes Regional Championship Series (because not all series classes are eligible for the event), then those series rules do not apply. Additionally, I see no reason for the region to apply for more than one sanction number for the event. In other words, this is one event and I believe that the region is free to establish whatever qualifying and race format they choose, subject to approval by SCCA Club Racing.

Also, take note of GCR 6.1.2.B. "Cars shall be positioned at the start in order of their official qualifying times without regard to engine displacement or class, with the fastest cars nearest the starting line, unless the Supplementary Regulations specify a different method." For this event, as long as the grid for a race is determined in some sort of fair and clearly-defined fashion spelled out in the Supps, I see no need to have a specific qualifier tied to a race.

Bob...