That was a big moment for both drivers, thank God Rob and Phil are both physically ok.
Just wanted to emphasize that mirrors are our best friend. Use them. Always. Going down the straight, just before turn in at every turn, and on exit. Always be aware of whats behind you and around you. Situational awareness. That should be taught at every drivers school, both SCCA and the Skippy types.
Since I wasn't standing there watching, I have no clue as to what actually happened there at T- 14, but I can imagine Rob did not see the Jag attempting a pass into the apex or he would not have turned in for the apex at this left hand kink.
If you have raced Sebring you know these kinks offer passing opportunities on both entry and exit. ITS cars routinely pass there as you are going just over 100 MPH with slower ITC, ITB and SM folks going about 80 MPH. You are flat from the entry of Tower turn until just past the grass patch braking point at T 15. When coming up on slower traffic into the left kink at T- 14, you hope and pray that the car in front has looked in their mirror and holds their line. Their present line. As in, keeping your present wide line with your entry so as to allow a safe inside pass or keeping tight with your drift out on exit so as to allow a safe outside pass. If you are driving a ITS car, you will / must pass slower cars there. If you are driving slower cars, you will be passed there. Test day, practice, qual or race.
Please look at your mirrors before you turn in at both kinks and hold your existing line if you see someone coming. Same goes for T-17 and T-1.
In summary, as I now drive one of the "slower cars", I have learned to use my mirrors. Always. Everywhere on track. Don't want a ITS BMW or RX7 punting me off.
Maybe this explains what happened at the Turkey Trot test day.
Good safe racing to all,
Carlos Gutierrez