Regarding the 944, it is unique in it's own way. And actually, the process fails it, and others like it. [/b]
Jake I think you are quite right.

The 2.5L 8valve 944 is a great racing platform. It has lots of really nice things going for it that make it a wonderfull car to race and in certin forms actually very cost effective.

The issue is that it simply does not fit well in the current performance targets of ITS and ITA. We in 944 spec had the luxury of creating a racing rule set for the 944 to maximize it strengths and minimize its weakness. The result has been lots of fun racing my 84 chassis for the past 4 years and alot of others getting into the 944 racing game.

IT classes are not based around 1 or two cars, but around certain performance and mechanical configuration ideals. There always needs to be some cut off between one class and the other and some cars fall between these classes. The result is a car that may a be a great racing platform, but not competitive to run, build or maintain in either class.

So I think the weight reductions are a step in the right direction. Maybe ITA is even better? In the end however the 944 needs to be classed where the process puts it. If it is not competitive or cost effective to build for that class then that is just too bad. While it maybe alot of fun to have lots 944 racing in IT you can sell the soul of IT by giving it some crazy rules allowance to do so.

In any mixed class with different types of cars there are always cars that are more competitive and cost effective. Thankfully not every one chooses the "easy" way and they pick something a little different to create some color for the class. Even so in class with 50 legal cars seeing 10 of them built in any significant number is great diversity. Sadly those other 40 are probably just not worth it. They still need to be classed and with full 100% build they should be able to win, but if they merely "hard to build" there is little that can be done.

So in the end I don't believe the goal of ITAC should be to get more 944 in IT, but merely to ensure that a 100% build 944 can run with the other 100% build cars in its class.