Hoping some of the VW wizards on this site can help. I have a ITB 86 VW golf with a CIS-E injection system which I am having problems with. I recently had a valve job done and the injectors rebuilt and it has been since then that I've been having a problem with the car seeming to run rich / hard start condition.

Additionally I am having a problem with the car shutting down (possibly fuel starvation) in sharp right hand turns. Namely T3 (with nascar turns) at New Hampsire. This was after 5-7 laps. At the start of qual/race sessions the car seems fine, but then seems to starve in this one turn only, rest of the track runs fine.

Recently I pull the plugs and found the right two (facing the engine) cylinders slightly fuel fouled, the other two cylinders appeared good. After pulling the plugs or letting sit for a slight bit the car starts right up no problem, but after running for a slight bit it seems to run rich, and then gradually becomes harder and harder to start.

I recently replaced the transfer pump (in the tank) as a possible cure to the starvation problem. Additionally I just replaced the fuel filter before last weekends race.

Also another odd symptom is my fuel guage is not registering acurately (shows 3/4 tank at full).

Tried spraying carb cleaner looking for vacum leaks and found injector seals not properly seated. Pulled and cleaned the injectors and this solved a poor idle condition, but has not solved the rich / starving conditions.

Some have told me to check the cold start valve, which is still connected with a fuel line, but is not electrically hooked up. I also need to check for water in the tank.

Truly apprieciate your help / recommended diagnostic suggestions, as this ruined a double weekend for a relative newbe racer who needs the track time.

Thanks for the HELP
Rick

ITB VW Golf