There has been much talk of having an IT runoff. I would like to put this to the IT community as a goal for 2007, and wondering what can we do to make it happen.

As all of you know, IT is very popular with high numbers of participation in most regions (more than National in many cases). Currently our "runoff" has been RA (the ARRC), with one regional race deciding the victor. IT is one of the most watched events at any race, you get to see your street car race and it is exciting. Even my wife enjoys the battle of Mazdas Porsches BMW VW Audi etc.

What would be more interesting to watch and participate than a true national event deciding the U.S. Champion?

Some thoughts and ideas; My years in sailboat racing lend ideas, when I sailed in a "national or world championship" we did not have one race but several. One race can not decide a champion, there are too many variables. So lets make it a three race weekend. Lets pick a track like Topeka where they reserve some of the track for championships so the locals dont have an edge. You must be invited, in your local region you must end the season in the top 25-? percentage to get an invite. Limit crew, so this doesnt turn into a show, and ruin it for the little guy, limit crew. Tech, top 10 places must tear down motors and show cams, bore and stroke.TV coverage and money; personally, I would be out there for the glory, so lets not worry about money for prizes, but why wouldn't Speed want to air this with ITR coming on board. Lots of modern day cars enticing to watch for the person sitting at home. Exciting to watch, heck almost every IT race is down-right fun to watch, bumps, spins, and as i said road cars competing in a true national high quality event.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Russ Jones ITS, NE region