We run a much modified '80 Rabbit in hillclimbs. It uses larger Audi front wheel bearings. They are a stiff press fit in the uprights, and the axle nut is tightened in excess of 300 lbs, a practice advised by a local VW race shop to avoid bearing failures in the '84 GTI I was running in ITB five years ago.

Last year we installed new bearings as above, went to a climb, and had tech inspection note that we had looseness (were allowed to run anyway). We subsequently installed new bearings of a different make. One of them appeared a tad loose. We jumped on the extension pipe over the head bar some more, it aaparently tightened up, and we ran several more events with no problems.

Last week we did a pre-season session on an alignment rack, and found looseness again, both wheels. The nuts are tight. We are nonplussed; the car has all of 25 runs on it, no offs, about 100 racing miles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? These bearings are tighter than the proverbial bull's rump. WHAT is going on here? We're mystified.

P.S. When originally developed on an engine dyno this CIS motor ran a fairly consisent 12.5 fuel/air ratio. Now it's running at 13-15, which is too lean. The system pressure was 80psi, with the control pressure sitting as high as 70. I am assuming that the control pressure regulator is degrading in some way. Adding mild pressure to the CPR vent causes the control pressure to rise 5psi, as opposed to reducing, which I expected after perusing the Bosch book. Comments on both these issues are much welcomed.