Hey guys,
I'm finally getting back to completing the GTI after taking a year off after the birth of my daughter. The crew and I are putting an effort together for the 12 Hour at Summit. One of the things that we're running into is the OBD1/2 dilemma. My car is a 96 GTI which is OBD 2 rather than the earlier OBD 1 cars. I want to yank the emissions equipment out of the car and plug the head and run an OBD 1 ECU. This all seems to be within the scope of the IT rules and spirit, but I figured that it'd be best to throw it out and see if anyone had any problems with it. What do you think? I've learned that there are differences with the heads of the cars so just swapping the head alone is beyond the scope of IT. Eventually I'd like to do a race spec motor, but that isn't in the budget for this season.
Next question, what do you guys think I should do for a R&P swap? In the old car I'd bought a 4:32, but wasn't sure what I should do in this trans. I think I'll end up with the clutch type diff from Bildon and a full rebuild from them as well. Any input?
I'm looking forward to getting back on the track this season. I feel like it's been forever! Joe