Tom,

The idea in concept has merit. The only issue is that there is no precident for it and it may open up a flurry of requests for similar allowances. If the CRB thinks it is the best thing for the E36 guys and the rest of IT, they may bite. Write in to the CRB (crb AT scca.com) and tell them you think it would be a good thing.

3050 is simply too light according to the process. I think it would look more like 29mm @ 2850 or no RP @ 3200.

AB
[/b]
Actually 3050 is almost exactly correct according to the process as you've documented it, even using the high end of the power/weight scale for ITS (12.9). That is a 200lb increase over the cars current weight - a very significant correction to the original misclassification. It will accomplish the goal of bringing the E36 closer to the rest of the field and will do so by treating it exactly like every other car in ITS.

I understand that you are applying a different multiplier for the E36 since it "responds better" to IT prep. In my opinion, that is invalid and subjective, especially added to the fact that you use the high end of the desired power/weight scale as well.

How many other cars were given different multipliers than 1.25 (higher or lower)? How many other cars have been tested with Motec and all of the full prep bling that take a car from 95% prep to full bore, no excuses 100%? Who's to say that there aren't examples of RX7, Integra GSR, 240Z... that have shown similar yields, or will if prepared to the same degree?

In order for a classification process to be unquestionably valid it needs to utilize consistent multipliers, across the board. If testing has shown that the average IT build yields a 25% (or 22% or 27%...) increase over stock than that is the number that needs to be used for ALL classifications, that way all of the cars in a given class will have the same bogey power to weight ratio. The ability of certain cars, or individual builders, to legally meet or exceed that bogey number will then determine the good cars versus the bad.

If at 3050 the BMW 325 is still the best car in ITS when built to the absolute maximum, then so what? It will have been classified in the same manner, using the same math, as every other car in ITS. To me, that would be perfectly fair and the other cars in ITS would have ZERO grounds for complaint. And in my opinion, the BMW owners should have ZERO grounds for complaint or quitting either.

At that weight you will not see partially prepped 325's running with or beating fully prepped RX7's, 240Z, etc. The performance should be comparable based on the relative prep of each vehicle. Thats the idea here - right?

By changing the multiplier for certain cars you are opening yourselves up to crys of "foul".

Off subject, sort of, but what are the bogey power to weight numbers for ITA, B and C?