I resisted even looking at this thread, but I know that it's 22* in the shop this morning and won't be any warmer for some time...

We are doing the ENTIRE Golf - bottom included - so I've become pretty familiar with the various types/quantities of stuff that they put in. Most of the sheet tar stuff on the inside floor and firewall popped out a quarter-sized piece at a time by dinging the edge with an old screwdriver and hammer. I don't like chisels because theys scar up the sheetmetal. Some pieces - for whatever reason - were more reluctant so we applied a heat gun to the BACK side of the sheetmetal, just enough to break it's grip, and stripped it off with a plastic putty knife.

Goof-off takes the tar residue off really well, with the proper gloves and a 3M pad. Wipe off the juice/tar snot with lots of paper towels and work to all-the-way clean.

The SnapOn Crud Thug that we borrowed from Jon Bonforte's shop does a GREAT job on the urethane stuff that VW uses in the fenders, engine compartment, and bottom but is less good on the tar.

The WORST was the sheets of tar-like stuff that were stuck to the firewall with adhesive and (even worse worst) the felt crap that's glued into the ceiling. The adhesive they used there seems to be a urethane and is solvent-proof.

K