Tim, thanks for the great post. I run a "marginal" ITS car as well (Triumph TR8, tons of torque but that is about it) and I understand some of the problems you guys face when thinking of running ITS.

At the same time, I really wish there was something that could be done to get all of the race built 944s (s and non-s) to run ITS, which is a great race series. I've obviously never run PCA, but I have some experience attending BMWCCA races and understand your comments on the "marque-based" series. SCCA is a bit more wild and wooly, but to me feels more like a true semi-professional race series. Plus, the thing I really like about ITS is that different makes with different strengths and weaknesses battle it out. Single marque racing (I run a Spec Miata occasionally) can get a bit boring, although I of course understand that with PCA different types of Porsches have different types of strengths and weaknesses.

I ran the NASA event at Roebling (where you there?) for fun and was shocked by the number of 944 race cars in attendance. WE (SCCA) SHOULD FIND A WAY TO GET THESE GUYS RUNNING ITS.

Based on what you've said, I'm not sure that a weight break to the 944 is going to help. Instead, the 325s have to be slowed or moved to a new, higher class.

If this happened, and the 944 could race semi-competively with RX7s, 240sxs, 240zs and GSR Integras, do you think the PCA and NASA cars would run ITS? Again, it seems to me that of all the non-SCCA race cars out there that COULD be running ITS, the gaggle of 944(s) in the SEDiv is the most attractive and the one that the ITAC and CRB should do the most to attract.

P.S. -- I love racing with 944s. They are the exact opposite of my car: I'm all torque and can turn on a dime (short wheelbase), but have no brakes, aero stinks top end and high speed stability is a bit questionable. Plus, putting the power down can be a problem sometimes. I have a blast racing with the 924s and 944s that do show up in ITS. Wish there were more of them.

P.S.S. -- Thanks again for the post. Very informative.