We had quite a discussion regarding the different insurance programs of various groups including NASA and SCCA on this forum recently. Most NASA franchises secure a $5M general liability policy for each event. That is generally (it seems) a requirement of each track. In other words, that is the minimum required in order to play. And is in place primarily to protect the businesses involved, i.e. NASA and the track.

SCCA coverage also indemifies the regions and tracks through a general liability policy. SCCA also provides a $1M (per individual) Medical Expense Reimbursement policy that covers participants (drivers and officials). This is separate from the coverage provided under the general liability policy. SCCA insurance programs are fully explained and available to review at

I don't believe that NASA offers a similar individual participant insurance program.

One other difference is that NASA franchises are individual businesses, and the francise owners have a vested interest in being financially successful. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it is the American way. But it also means that racers are not the primary Customer of NASA. HPDE is the primary NASA Customer since most participants at a weekend event are involved in the HPDE program.

SCCA regions are member run, and as such must answer directly to the participants. Don't like the way things are? You can change it. Does it take time? Damn right it does and for a reason. Changes cost money, so any change that affects a competitor better be throughly reviewed and vetted before implementation. Changes to a race program or a training program may affect safety. I think we al want to make sure changes are improvements, and are not made just to please a squeaking wheel.

I'm not sure how NASA franchises decide on changes, but since some one owns the franchise they have the ultimate decision.

There are other differences between NASA and SCCA that I'm sure we have all seen. Such things as technical inspection and rules enforcement are often cited as being different. At the regional level, these are probably not much of an issue. However, work your butt off and travel 1000 miles to race for a championship, and you won't appreciate getting beat by someone with a cheater motor.

I think that some of what NASA does is good. They get people on track. And some number of those go on to competition. But their racing program is, in many ways, far behind SCCA.