Right now I’m dependent on finding someone who is willing to help me do an alignment or bring it to a shop, which adds. I’ve seen guys doing alignments at the track and know others do it themselves at home. When a shop does it, they use some pretty serious and expensive equipment. Is it really possible for a person to do an alignment that will be close in quality without the expensive equipment?

I’ll admit that I’m not the most technical / best mechanic; how difficult it is to do an alignment using the DIY tools? I did some searching on the web and found what looked like some very, very basic tools for the DIY individual. And they were extremely cheap ($40 total). Maybe that didn’t include everything needed. I also remember looking through one of those race catalogs (unfortunately can’t remember which one) and seeing a special camber gauge similar to level tool.

So what I’m really asking is what are you opinions about the DIY method? Not just for an emergency at the track, but as a replacement of using the expensive equipment.

How complicated of a process is it?

How expensive are the tools? What tools are needed? Where are some places that they can be bought at a reasonable price?

And any other comments about the process would be great too!