Quick background:
I'm new to the IT racing scene. I'll be starting down the path of this wonderfully expensive hobby in several weeks, when I attend my first HPDE. My intent is to attend several of these early next year before making the final commitment to this sport and getting my racing license next Fall.

What I'm looking for advice on is how to go about building a racecar. Now, l know I'm going to get replies stating that's it's cheaper to buy than to build. I do appreciate those comments, and I welcome them. But I should state that I'm pretty much set on building. I have 2 reasons for building. The first is learning. I want to learn more about how cars work. I know the basics, but I want to know the nitty gritty details. What better way than to take one apart and put it back together. The second reason is, well, I just like building stuff. That includes budgeting the costs required for the build. It's the engineering geek in me.

Back to my question. I have a 91 Golf that I'm thinking will be my donor car. I may also have the option of using a 96 Jetta. I'll only consider the latter if it get's reclassed into ITB. And finally there is an outside chance that I'll sell 1 or both of those cars and buy a Golf III. Which car would you use and why? With regards to Golf III, which year would be the best. Do you think the stock engines (150,000 on the golf; 200,000 on the Jetta) would survive the track time neccessary to get a racer license? I know that's a bad question. Just assume that the engines are in average condition for their ages.

A couple of related questions regarding cost to make sure I'm not under estimating my build costs.
Cage $1000 including installation?
Race engine $2500?

Last question. Anyone happen to know if Shine Racing builds race engines and install cages for customers? I'd ask them directly but I know they are quite busy and I don't want to bother them with something isn't ready to be dealt with.

-Jon