This past weekend I raced the Fun One at Watkins Glen. During the ITA/ITS race on the short course, Sunday, I was punted from the track around lap five. I was exiting the carousel when Ben Phillips ITS#33 attempted an inside pass as I was heading toward the apex. I went up on two wheels and nearly flipped. When the car landed, I slid on to the grass heading into the boot, and it felt like the car took off like a rocket. The first impact was the RX7's right front corner clipping the retaining wall which sent the car into a violent spin. Next, the major impact occured when the back end of the car slammed the wall with a solid hit. When the car finnally came to a stop, I was able to unbelt, pull the pins on my ISAAC, and emerge from the car unhurt. Ben Phillips walked down check if I was alright, and I thank God that we both were unharmed.

I credit Greg Baker and the ISAAC system as a significant part of the safety equation that allowed me to survive this crash with nothing more than minor soreness in my neck and shoulder muscles. The back of the RX7 is FUBR and consequently the unibody is totaled. I will attempt to either buy or build a new race car. The crash increased my addiction and desire to continue to race. Thank you again Greg.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23 to ???