Originally posted by ShelbyRacer@Aug 30 2005, 10:52 PM
OK, so I have a question (go figure).

Were ANY of the current ITAC members on board when the Neon was classified in ITS? If so, WTF was everyone smoking?
Not sure of the exact ITAC configuration, but it safe to say that there have been some changes. Keep in ming though, that the old method, often put a car in S then moved it to it's proper class. THe 1st gen RX-7 was such a car.

I will admit, when I first saw the proposed Miata classification, I about flipped, but I'm starting to understand some of the reasoning (though I may not agree with all of it).
I'd like to respond, but sadly I don't know WHY you flipped. Too light? Too heavy? What?

Unfortunately, this just adds to the questions I've always had about the ITS Neon fiasco. I'm sure this has been beaten to death, so this really is more of a rhetorical question, but one has to wonder...
Ummm so...what IS the question, rhetorical or otherwise?

So, a comment on the roll cage vs. weight issue. I understand the reasoning of allowing the move and making an easy transition, but why would ultimate safety take a back seat to convenience?
Ok, now that you put it that way, what DO you mean, LOL!?
How has safety taken a back seat??? The ITAC didn't decree that the car has a min weight of 2450 but runs a cage for a car that weighs 2200. It weighs the proper amount for the cage that is installed in many current SM cars. The issue is whether, at the speced weight of 2380, the car will fit the class..not too fast, not to slow. The ITAC thinks it will.

Here are a couple truths...the ITAC discussed these items, among others.
1- Race cars either get wrecked, parked, sold or built into another racing class's rules when an owner gets tired of them.
2- Spec Miata will get very serious, and we'll likely see fallout.
3- Some guys have tried SM and found it lacking.

Which means there could be 1.8 Spec Miatas looking for a different home.

So, why not give SM cars an option to race in IT when their owner tires of SM, or decides the class is too serious? It adds a viable bit of value to a car when selling that it be a future candidate for another class as well.

The 1.8 Miate could be a great ITA car...why not give it a place to race?

So, we proposed it be classed in A, where it fits the current process. Remember, any process that makes ANY kind of assumption will have a degree of granularity in it's output. Obviously, the ITAC doesn't have reams of dyno sheets and empirical data on the car, but the ITAC DOES have a lot of information at it's fingertips from the SMAC, which helps reduce the granularity, as well as real world data on 1.6 Miatas in IT trim. In the end, the math was very close, and the final weight was well within the granularity of the process.

Remember.....IF the math used proves to be wrong, the ITAC has options...and frankly, the future holds viable options other than weight. With no safety compromises.

I guess I'm the only one who suddenly sees some guy bringing a Miata and running ITA in one group, SSM in another, and SM in a third, just by unbolting a few things... Then again, I'm not sure if that a horrible thing or not... Maybe it's just sour grapes since I don't own one or have one to sell... :P
[snapback]59356[/snapback]
That wasn't the major goal, and not many will actually do that, as the car won't be competitive in it's SM trim in a good ITA class, but why not let them try!?!

I think the move is a win win, so I am not sure I see the issues.